Monday, October 29, 2012

Sex Talk..


My sexual identity was not defined by the sex talk by my parents. The overall view of sex and expectation of it was much so altered by things my mother said. My mother was not all shy about talking on the topic of sex. There were many times where she sat me down and discussed the negative effects of sex. Sex in my home was never a positive topic. I always heard that if I engaged in sexual activities that there would be negative consequences. Good things could not come from having sex. Just like the clip we watched from “Roseanne” my mother acted as if talking about sex made her uncomfortable to the point where it was hard to speak. At the same time she would swear that talking to me about my body, sexual encounters and other sex related topics were easy for her to talk about with me. Everything was made negative. Some of the things that were told me were as such, “having sex will lead to pregnancy”, diseases, “sex is all guys want”, “you are supposed to wait until marriage to have sex” and many other things stuck with me throughout my life. Even though things stuck with me I still took it upon myself to learn about sex and all the things I saw important to know. Even though I may not know all there is to know about sex, it is a learning experience.  

1 comment:

  1. Jillian,
    I wish my parents were as upfront with it as yours were. Mine seemed so shy when it came to sex. The most they said were "I don't know if you're doing it but if you are be careful." It was so awkward. I barely knew anything by the time I got to high school and everyone was talking about it. I feel like everyone needs to talk more about it in a more positive way and be more detailed with it for sure.

    ReplyDelete