Monday, November 19, 2012

erutluC poP...

Pop culture can be defined by TV shows, radio programs, magazines, books, and other different types of media. This type of culture is very influential. These different types of media send messages directly and indirectly to the outside world. In my case pop culture has played a huge role in the way I view certain situations. The most dominant influence pop culture has in my life is when it comes to the world of books. I like to read different styles of books.  Some of these influences have been negative and some positive depends on the story-line.   These types of influences can play a huge role when it comes to change. One example of influence from books is when I purchased the famous book “Think like a Man, Act like a Lady” by Steve Harvey. After reading this book I valued the things he spoke on and applied them to my everyday life. A lot of the advice and suggestions he made on relationships I started using it in my own.  I strongly agree when people make statements that pop culture defines gender.  Most times even when you are just watching TV commercials most of them are only reaching out to one gender. Some examples are like One a Day for women, Dr. Pepper 10 for men, and Swiffer Jet commercials that reach out to the super mom. Influences can be both positive and negative. Pop culture is big part of America it shows fashion, news, pop culture and so much more. It is what gives the world entertainment. I think without pop culture we have a boring world.  

2 comments:

  1. I can totally agree with you Jillian on how pop culture has an effect on society today. It is different strokes for different folks, but just like you pop culture has influenced me in both negative and a positive way. That's just what is, to be either influential in a negative way or a positive way. Commercials, ads, even songs and movies that we may watch will or have influenced us in some kind of way. But to look at it, without pop culture, the world probably wouldn't be as interesting. No matter what gender you are, there is some form of pop culture out there that will eventually influence you in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From reading Julian’s blog “ertluc pop”, I am enthused and inspired that you have found a positive aspect for something that is considered controversial by finding instances that are influential. In today’s society, everything is determined by gender, class, and race. The most directed influence is gender. Although I agree with you about how pop culture is a big part of the American lifestyle, it has an influence over fashion, news, and etc that can have a positive and negative effect. I disagree with you about if we did not have pop culture it would be a boring world. Yes, pop culture can be inspirational but some things that explicit women and men should not be condoned or shown.

    ReplyDelete