Monday, November 12, 2012

Oppression Overlooks No One.


Second-shifting is one of the biggest forms of oppression towards women in my opinion. I say this because oppression is defined as unjust treatment or being forced between two opinions. How is that women are expected to gain equality outside the home but reach no new limits in the home. It only puts women in a position to think or believe that their motives get them nowhere. Women are more accepted in the workplace because it is what they have worked so hard to gain. In the home gendered roles are always being reinforced. Like my home and most American homes men and women have specific roles they play such as women are told to cook, clean, and take care of the kids. Men are told to provide, take care of the home, and make a good place for family. As a young woman in today’s society I work harder than the elder women in my family to make a better way for my kids and their kids. I work harder to show that I am just as determined and strong willed as the next person. To show other women around me that the jobs defined for just men are also women worthy.  It’s not a need to prove myself but I think there are benefits to equality. Equality to me goes past gender; it also means equality in races, sexual orientations, different classes and other aspects of life.  I personally, do not think we could live in a perfect world but every step we take to improvement is one step closer to a better world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment